Saturday, September 17, 2011

The Lies We Believe

We are doing The Truth Project by Focus on the Family at our Wednesday night Bible study.  After this weeks lesson (which is the second time I have seen this study) something really hit me.  I know that Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life.  I know that the Holy Bible is the Truth.  I know what spiritual truth is. 

However, what hit me is the fact that we are faced with untruths constantly and don't even know it or pay attention.  Just look at the television or read the newspaper, internet stories etc.  Everything from diets to political issues these days are possibly lies.  How often after reading an article about the latest health study or diet do we consult the Word about whether or not this is true.  How often do we really pray about the latest products that are out there, what they can do for us, what companies are they supporting, etc.  How often have we been suckered into buying things because we think that it will make our lives easier when all that we really need is to look at what is written in the Bible.

The Bible talks about us being deceived - I know this is true in spiritual matters but what about those areas that we don't really think about as being areas that really matter.  Groceries, clothing, household items - let's face it, we live in a sinful world and people will tell you anything to get you to spend your hard earned money to buy their products.  Is that food really healthy?  Will those jeans really make me look thinner?  Will that cleaner really help me clean better? 

What about society?  Society really puts a lot of pressure these days on people, what your home should be like, what your children should involved in, what constitutes success.  It's no wonder that we live in a stressed out world.

What are the lies that you have been believing?  After asking myself this question, I got really depressed at first as I looked into my life and thought about what I accept these days without praying about it.  But then I felt God's peace come over me and remind me that we are not here to make these decisions alone.  Matthew 7:7 -  "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

This applies to life-changing decisions and little daily ones.  God does not want us to be deceived in any part of our lives. ASK - He may tell us that our decisions are ok, but at least we are learning to ask first just in case His answer is "no" on something.

No comments:

Post a Comment